Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tasmanian road trip & Hobart

IMG_0969

A view of a mining town’s hills. Trees have a hard time growing in this particular area because of the factory’s gaseous releases of sulfuric dioxide, nitrogen oxide, etc., which leads to the creation of acidic rain.

IMG_0976

I took so many pictures of lakes during our drive I can’t tell you which one this is! Maybe Lake Burbury?

IMG_0982

A photo of Riley walking toward Hobart’s Salamanca market. It’s a lot like Seattle’s Pike Place.

IMG_0985

We caught the start of “Hobart’s 20K International Speed-Walking Race.” I was told that a good race-walker can do 10 kilometers in just 38 minutes. Impressive, until you look at them go. They were hilariously awkward to watch.

IMG_0989

Main street in Hobart.

IMG_0990

Hobart’s harbor on a cloudy day.

IMG_0994

 

I asked an old man walking his dog (nearly the same height as he was!) if I could take a picture of his great dane, but he insisted that I be in the picture instead. So, there you have it… me and one big dog.

 

 

 

 

IMG_1004

A view of the harbor on a sunny afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica, just caught up with you again. Glad you're off the fig farms for awhile. If you want to look up the resorts, go to www.worldmarktheclub.com and go to 'resort gallery'. It looked like there were 3 near Brisbane: Golden Beach, Kirra Beach, and Marcoola Beach. I know absolutely nothing about these places. Depending on availability, a 1 bedroom with kitchen will usually sleep 4 and will cost probably $45/night. The only booking available is something called 'bonus time' which has some rules I have to look up. I'm thinking it might be a limit of 4 nights, booked within 2 weeks of the stay. Let me know if you are interested in pursuing. I saw that the Golden Beach place has rooms available now for booking around Feb 21st. ~Cid~

    ReplyDelete