Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Give me a teddybear

I wouldn’t consider myself a pleasant person to fly with- not because I’m that kid on the plane who has to scream or kick on the back of the seat in from them, but- because I worry about the little things. “If our flight’s at 2:15, we should be there by noon,” I told Jesse and Riley last night before going to bed, “Or even a little bit before then would be fine.” What I really should’ve said was, “We’re getting there as soon as I wake up.”

I don’t know where this comes from or if I have anxiety issues all together, but I have a feeling my sister would probably laugh and say I got it from my mother. “You’re just like her,” she always says. And, this morning I finally heard it.

Jesse dropped Riley and me off at Sea-Tac airport with, let’s just say, plenty of time to twiddle our thumbs before our plane would take off. I checked I had my boarding ticket, passport, and carry-on I don’t know how many times, just to reassure myself I hadn’t lost it in 10 minutes of sitting. All the while, the television at the gate showed President Obama and his reaction to last week’s terrorist attempt on a plane. Great- just what I want to hear before boarding a plane. I turned to Riley, interrupting her reading her book, and commented on the fact that they’re still working to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future. I’m thinking- I’m about to board a plane and you can’t tell me that everyone around me has been properly questioned and searched?

Anyway, I took some Dramamine and clenched my fingers for two and a half hours from Seattle to L.A., while Riley sat next to me commenting on how she likes turbulence and the distant landscape below. Please.

Can I have some vodka on the rocks, Miss? And a teddybear to hug? Just let me know when I’m there.

2 comments:

  1. Erica, I'm sorry to say you are exactly like me about traveling. I drive Dad nuts. He's learned it is easier to just give in and go early rather than watch me get anxious that we will miss our flight. Thanks for the blog. I love how descriptive you are and you make me laugh. I will look forward to reading more about your trip. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, it's taken me years to overcome the anxiety I inherited from mom. I can now be comfortable arriving less than an hour before a flight... and it only took 7 years of not living at home to do it :)

    ReplyDelete